Thursday, May 28, 2009

My Best Friend

I find myself wanting to call her often to share my day with her; as we always did since childhood. She is the one person I need to talk to and comfort me at this time, but I realize her absence is the reason my heart aches and the tears continue to run down my face.
My memories and dreams now are the places I keep her alive; the place I can touch, talk, laugh, and even cry with her. I had a dream the other night that I was sitting at her funeral and she walked up, sat beside me, and wrapped her arms around me. (Ahhh, i needed that). I woke up with such peace. Crystal said in our last phone call, " I'll watch over you." I know now she lives in my heart.
I apologize for those who don't know me, my name is Alicia and I am the lucky one who was given the title " Crystal's Best Friend". Crystal and I lived around the corner where our parents still own homes today. We started our friendship at age eight riding bikes, playing hopscotch, and jump rope in the middle of the street. We always walked to and from school and often played at the park right above our elementary school. Crystal was so funny I often peed my pants(literally). Crystal would yell, " The slide's wet!" I would say,"I know, it must have rained last night." She accepted that answer. It was not until recently that I shared the story with my daughter who just had to know if Crystal knew that I had peed my pants that day. Crystal grinned, nodded, and said yes. We did not embarassed one another, never boasted, or bragged.One was never more proud than the other; as a matter of fact, we were each others biggest fan.
Our friendship went on to middle school and high school where our music, hairstyles, and friends changed. Most of our friends did not know the special bond Crystal and I had or that we were friends at all. It was rare that we hung out at school; we would have our occassional lunch and pass notes in the hall. But one thing for sure, we always started and ended our day with a phone call to say, " Meet me at the corner," were we would share our day. It was like that even as we grew older when she would call me on my way to work and on her way home.
Before we had graduated high school, Crystal had told me:
she wanted to be a nurse; and she was, she told me she would have three kids; and she did, she said we would be best friends forever; and we are and will always be, she said that we would baptize each others daughter; and we did.
Crystal had a plan and a purpose and I am happy that she was able to check those things off her list.
I will always cherish our very special bond that survived high school, boys, college, our move to different states, and many miles apart could not break our lasting friendship. I have pride in the many years Crystal and I shared and the deep roots that anchor our friendship. AND I AM PROUD TO BE HER BEST FRIEND. Alicia

1 comment:

  1. Alicia,
    You are so lucky that Crystal visits you in your sleep. I have dreamed of her but she was being funny and silly, just like I remember her. I would love to have a "real" conversation with her, even if it was just a dream.

    ReplyDelete